Friday, February 20, 2026
No menu items!
spot_img
Home Blog Page 5

Pressure mounts on Mutharika administration to publish ghost workers audit

0



By Lyson Swala

President Peter Mutharika’s disclosure that government has removed ghost workers from the public payroll has triggered calls for greater transparency, with governance and human rights advocates urging authorities to release a comprehensive audit report detailing the number of affected employees, the financial losses incurred, and steps taken to prevent recurrence.

During his State of the Nation Address (SONA) last Friday, the President said an audit of public service personnel had been conducted, leading to the identification and removal of ghost workers from the payroll.

Mutharika



Reacting to the development, Center for Social Accountability and Transparency (CSAT) Executive Director Willy Kambwandira commended the government for taking action to protect public resources, but stressed the need for authorities to publish a detailed audit report to quantify the extent of the malpractice.

National Advocacy Platform (NAP) Chairperson Benedictor Kondowe, said the issue may require legal action, noting that the alleged conduct could amount to offences such as fraud, obtaining money by false pretences, uttering false documents, and abuse of public office.

In a written response, Center for Democracy and Economic Development Initiatives (CDEDI ) Executive Director Sylvester Namiwa echoed the calls for accountability, urging authorities to name and arrest those responsible.

Meanwhile, Office of the President and Cabinet (OPC) spokesperson Focus Maganga said more time is needed to provide updated information on the matter.

Mdyetseni,Mbozi granted bail

0

By Chisomo Phiri

Suspended National Economic Empowerment Fund (NEEF) Chief Executive Officer Humphreys Mdyetseni and Department of Irrigation engineer Anderson Mbozi were on Monday February 16,2026 granted bail by the Lilongwe Senior Resident Magistrate’s Court after being formally charged with abuse of office and money laundering.

Mdyetseni is facing two counts of abuse of office, while both he and Mbozi are jointly charged with one count of money laundering.

Mdyetseni



The State alleges that Mdyetseni laundered about K11 billion between April 2024 and 2025.

The abuse-of-office charges relate to the alleged unfair dismissal of his personal assistant, Prisca Mtewa, who reportedly received K150 million, as well as the purchase of two buildings valued at K1.6 billion each without following proper procurement procedures.

In court,Defence lawyers George Jivason Kadzipatike and Jefferson Luwa applied for bail.

Principal State Advocate Festus Sakanda, assisted by Mphatso Partridge, did not oppose the application but asked the court to impose strict conditions, including the surrender of travel documents and disclosure of registered property.

Presiding magistrate Shukulani Kumbani granted bail, ordering each accused to pay a K1 million cash bond, provide one surety bonded at K10 million, declare property worth at least K80 million, surrender travel documents, and report to police every fortnight.

Meanwhile, Luwa said the defence is ready to proceed with trial after the court directed the State to provide disclosures by March 16,2026.

Mdyetseni was appointed NEEF CEO in 2020 and oversaw the institution’s transition from the former Malawi Enterprise Development Fund(MEDF).

NACA demands urgent Govt action on corruption in public hospitals

0



By Chisomo Phiri

The National Anti-Corruption Alliance (NACA) has urged the government to urgently outline concrete measures to address alleged corruption in Malawi’s public hospitals following a recent investigative expose.

The investigation, conducted by a collaborative team of investigative journalists from different media houses, uncovered what it described as an ‘informal tariff system’ in which patients are reportedly forced to make unauthorised payments to access treatment.

Michael Kaiyatsa


In a statement addressed to the Ministry of Health, NACA chairperson Michael Kaiyatsa says the alliance is deeply concerned by the findings and is demanding immediate government action.

“This matter must be treated not simply as an administrative concern, but as a potential human rights and governance issue with direct life-and-death consequences,” says Kaiyatsa.

He has also called on the government to publish a clear action plan detailing how it will investigate and dismantle corruption networks, coordinate enforcement with anti-corruption bodies, strengthen complaints systems, protect whistle-blowers, and raise public awareness.

“We urge your office to publicly outline the Government’s response, including specific timelines and institutional responsibilities,” he says.

Among the hospitals where the said corruption is very high are Kamuzu Central Hospital (KCH) in Lilongwe and Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH ) in Blantyre.

Mpinganjira accepts Wanderers’ participation in 2026/27 CAF Champions League

0

By Chisomo Phiri

Mighty Wanderers president and board chairperson Thomson Mpinganjira has accepted the club’s participation in the 2026/27 edition of the CAF Champions League.

In an interview with local media, Mpinganjira, who is also the team’s main sponsor said:“We will join the CAF tourney. I have approved the team’s participation. I believe we have a strong squad capable of doing the job.”

Mpinganjira



On plans to strengthen the team ahead of next season, Mpinganjira said:“Like every club, we are working to beef up the squad during the off-season.”

Commenting on the matter, Wanderers’ director of football development, David Kanyenda praised Mpinganjira’s continued support.

“As national champions, we are obliged to participate in continental competitions, but the budget is always steep

“Last year, we participated in the same competition.Although we were eliminated early, this time we aim to repay him by progressing into the group stages. This is an exciting development and reaffirms our purpose to make Mighty Mighty Again,” he said.

Last year, Mpinganjira personally funded the team’s campaign with K500 million in the CAF Confederation Cup, which ended in a first preliminary round exit against Jwaneng Galaxy of Botswana.

The tie ended 1-1 over two legs, with Wanderers losing 4-3 on penalties.

The sponsorship covered chartered flights, accommodation, allowances, and pre-tournament training camps.

Castel Malawi replants 2000 trees at Mudi catchment area

0

By Linda Kwanjan

Castel Malawi Limited has replanted 2000 trees at Mudi catchment area in Ndirande, Blantyre, as part of efforts to restore the environment and support water conservation in the area.

Speaking during the tree-replanting exercise on Friday, Castel Malawi’s Human Resource and Corporate Affairs Director, Gloria Zimba said the initiative aligns with the company’s commitment to environmental sustainability considering the amount of water used in beer production.



“When we are making beer, the ratio is 3:1, meaning in every one litre of beer, there are three litres of water. As a corporate entity we believe that the citizens should not lack access to safe and potable water, hence this initiative,” said Zimba.

She further said Castel Malawi, for the past 4 years, has been conducting annual reforestation activities across the country.

Zimba added that the company works closely with the local communities, the law enforcement agencies and community policing structures to ensure the forest is protected.

“We involve the community because they are the custodians of the land. Throughout the planting and weeding process, they are actively engaged. We also provide protective gear such as overalls, gumboots, whistles, panga knives and hard hats,” said Zimba.

Deputy Director of Forestry Responsible for the South Zone, William Mitembe urged citizens to actively participate in tree-planting initiatives, saying reforestation helps restore degraded land and improve tree survival rate.

“The Southern area is highly degraded. There is need for consistent tree planting to restore our environment,” said Mitembe.

Assistant Commissioner of Police responsible for Ndirande Police, Frank Dzimbiri said the police will support efforts to protect the newly planted trees and encouraged other stakeholders to emulate Castel Malawi environmental initiatives.

“This is a milestone for us as the Police. Trees and water are essential for the community,” said Dzimbiri.

By last year, Castel Malawi had planted a total of 16,000 trees at Mudi – Blantyre, Area 33 near Lilongwe Bridge, and Kaning’ina Forest in Mzuzu since 2022.